Warning: Use of undefined constant who_is_online_widget_register - assumed 'who_is_online_widget_register' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/blog.pistonspy.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/who-is-online/who-is-online.php on line 167 timer | Pistonspy Nurburgring and Motorsport Photography and News
One of the rarest and most valuable Bentleys in the world, the 4¼-Litre ‘Embiricos’ special, is making an historic appearance at the marque’s home in Crewe. Fresh from taking part in the Louis Vuitton ‘Serenissima Run’ in Venice and featuring at the Le Mans Classic as part of the Bentley lineup, this magnificent car takes pride of place in the Lineage Showroom at the firm’s Pyms Lane factory until September.
Richard Charlesworth, Director of Royal and VIP Relations and Head of the Bentley Heritage Collection, commented:
“It is an honour for Bentley to exhibit this unique Bentley for the first time, thanks to the generosity of its esteemed owner. Its sleek form was extremely advanced for the time, and its DNA can still be seen in modern Bentley coupes today. We are looking forward to showing the Embiricos to our factory visitors, and to the public at the upcoming Windsor Castle Concours of Elegance.”
Audi AG is pleased to announce that they have managed to aquire the final Auto Union Type D ever made which was developed in the age of the “Silver Arrows” in 1939.
The ‘supercharger era’ was halted by World War II and after being occupied by the Soviet Army, Auto Union was pillaged. Russian occupying forces found the cars and they were carried back to the Soviet Union as part of German reparation payments, resulting in the loss of the cars.
In 1970, American classic car collector Paul Karassik began his search across Europe and finally managed to uncover remains of two dismantled Auto Union cars before successfully buying them. With the help of English company Crosthwaite & Gardiner, a single supercharger and twin supercharger cars were rebuilt to original spec. While Audi bought the 1938 single-supercharger machine, the 1939 twin was sold to a classic car collector.
The Auto Union car was the first manufacturer to place the engine behind the driver, apparently they was notoriously difficult to drive with its 6 litre v16 engine produced well over 500 bhp.
This fetched them a total of nine Grand Prix Race wins in 1935 and 1937.
The legend of the “Silver Arrows” actually began with the Mercedes-Benz W25 car at the the 1934 EifelRennen at the Nürburgring, it weighed in at 751kg which was 1kg to heavy.
Overnight the team manager Alfred Neubauer and driver Manfred von Brauchitsch, came up with a scheme of scraping all the white paint of the bodywork.
So back at the workshop of the Altes Forsthaus Hubertus the team removed all the paint and revealed the gleaming aluminium panels and passed the scrutineers weigh in for the race.
After a successful race where Manfred von Brauchitsch won the Eifelrennen, the car was dubbed by the media as a “silver Arrow”. So the Era of the silver arrows was born.
Mercedes-Benz & Audi AG have already confirmed that W25, W125, W154 will be present alongside Auto Union Type C and Type Ds at the Goodwood Revival on the 14-16 th September.
And of course you can always visit the Nurburgring Nordschleife Guest House and Garage where the Silver Arrows were born Altes Forsthaus Guesthouse